Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Denver Day 4

I did not blog last night when we finally got back to the hotel as sleep and hunger took priority. I have had a few hours sleep and am ready to start off another exciting day.


One of the big issues of "playing the game" of getting to experience each of the days of the convention is to get to the Pepsi Center early enough to secure decent seats. We have passes that say Honored Guest which might sound a little impressive - but believe me there are a lot of honored guests here in Denver. I know for a fact that they give out many more passes that say Honored Guests than they have seats for that category. Yesterday, we knew where we wanted to sit - section 234-236 on the Club Level looked perfect from what we had staked out the night before. We left the hotel at 2:00 and did get the seats we wanted. So that meant, sitting, guarding our territory for several hours before the "top acts" came to the podium. It was fun listening to all of the speeches, but some stood out. Mark Warner, as the keynote speaker had a hard act to follow considering that Barack Obama had delivered a dynamite speech four years ago in Boston that had propelled him into the spotlight that became the nomination. I think we were all waiting for a similar occurance and it fell a little short, I thought. But surprises such as Governor Schweitzer from Montana gave a wonderful speech that I hope I can find the text of as i'd like to read his words again. I was really impressed with him.

Hillary Clinton's speech I thought was phenominal. I thought it did exactly what it should have done - united the Democratic Party behind Barack Obama. The media seems to be looking at what they thought was lacking in the speech - but I thought it contained everything. It explained why those who supported her with such fervor had to realize that it was her issues and priorities that they were supporting and that they would not find that with John McCain - the issues are just too different. I thought she was great - and I even got to say it to a Roiter's roving reporter and some Spanish TV station that interviewed me at the elevators. Don't look for these interviews in primetime anywhere!

Picture of the Convention Floor With All the Unity Signs





We were exhausted after the day which also included a forum in the morning with some celebrities here to support the party - among them Eva Longoria and Fran Drescher and many others, and they were all very impressive with their remarks.

I know this blog is so long, but I must tell you about this morning. We are lucky enough to have access to the Consierge Lounge which happens to be next door to our room. Here there is always coffee, soft drinks, an honor bar, breakfast and treats all day. I go in to see who is there - not especially for the food (but the coffee being so handy is great). Well this morning an elderly lady walked in wearing her robe and a bandana on her head and we both got some fruit and yogurt and she sat doiwn at the same table with me. We started talking and she told me that she was a very good friend of Bill and Hilary's and flew in last night to sit next to Bill as he watched Hilary's speech. She was lovely, but I didn't recognize her as anyone iIshould recognize. Her friend came in and we were taling and I asked her what she did. She said that she worked for the other lady's foundation - the Cicely Tyson Foundation. Then the light bulb went off in my head and I realized I was breaking bread with Cicely Tyson. I would have asked her for a picture, but she really was in her "just woke up" mode.

Then, I notice eating breakfast at the table next to me was one of my favorite media stars -Chris Matthews! Wow! I had to talk to him. He is "tivoed' every night in our house. He was so very nice and asked me all about where I was from - could not have been nicer. What a personality! He willingly posed with me for a picture. The day has just begun and I am "star struck" already!!!

Chris Matthews of MSNBC News with me.


2 comments:

Amy @ WDW Hints said...

I've enjoyed reading all your posts. What a wonderful trip you're having! We all miss you and Sam can't wait to play when you return. Amy

Unknown said...

I am having the best time living vicariously through you. Thanks for sharing all the exciting news! I am a huge fan of all the news celebrities too.