Sunday, August 24, 2008

Denver -Day 1 Sunday

Got up and out of the house early today for our flight to Denver at 8:13 AM. Surprisingly the flight loaded promptly and left the gate on time ( a surprise for this traveler). We got into Denver, no luggage delay, a taxi waiting, and we checked into the Hyatt without incidence. What a great start!

I have never, ever seen so much security dressed in riot gear, brandishing automatic weapons on their shoulders. I thought maybe we took a wrong turn and were in Iraq! Before we entered the hotel, our bags were sent through a screening process. The police are everywhere - at the elevators, in the coffee shops, in the lobby, on the hotel floors - they are everywhere. Do I feel safe or do I feel that I should be worrying about something?

I had my first real excitement just as we were checking in. You have to understand that celebrity to me means someone in the media who delivers my news on mostly cable TV. Those are the people I get excited to see. Well, there right in front of me checking in was the man and woman who I watch each morning, "Morning" Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzenski from MSNBC. I went up to him and said, "Please tell me if I am being intrusive, but I am a real fan of yours. Would it be all right if my husband took our picture together?" He was so nice, called Mika over and they stood on either side of me and I got my first "celebrity" shot! I then went up on the elevator with Donna Brazille, another commentator that I am fond of.

Joe, Judi, and Mika

My sister-in-law Susie hosted a very nice party this afternoon for her friends and colleagues which numbered 650 on the RSVP list. Many came and went so it was never real crowded. It was held at Zaidye's Delicatessan and was called a "Nosh and Schmooze", which means to have a bite to eat and visit with friends. It was wonderful! We chatted with fellow Ohioians who are delegates and others active in the DNC. We chatted with Congressmen Nadler from New York and Honda from the Silicon Valley, and Senator Ben Carden from Maryland.

We then had a wonderful afternoon with friends who live out in the mountains in a suburb of Denver. What a magnificent home they have built right on a nature reserve. The views from the wrap-around deck were amazing and we had a great dinner before they drove us back to the hotel.
As I am on east coast time and it has been a long day, I am ready to "hit the sack". There is just such excitement around here that it is contagious. Some people like sporting events or live concerts, but being at the Democratic National Convention is the ticket I like best!




No comments: